Friday, January 13, 2012

Day +140

Labs were fine again this week. Dr. Burt said I can start getting them drawn monthly now. I finally got my followup scheduled this week. I'll be in Chicago February 13th-17th for a CT scan, colonoscopy, blood work, and appointments with a new transplant GI (Dr. Craig retired) and Dr. Burt.

I was talking with the 3rd Crohn's patient who had the cord blood transplant earlier. She had a chimerism test done a little more than a month post-transplant and it didn't show any donor cells at that time, either. It may not really mean much but I think it's worth noting for comparison.

I made a trip to the ER last night/this morning. I was vomiting pretty consistently for a few hours, all mucus after the first few times and my stomach was empty. I felt really dehydrated and fatigued, and couldn't keep sips of water down so I figured it was worth going for IV fluids at the very least. Looking awful and saying "stem cell transplant" really cut down on the wait time. They started fluids, did blood work, an EKG, got a chest X ray, and gave me Zofran. The EKG was normal, my WBC were slightly elevated, and the X ray didn't show anything of concern. It was most likely a lot of built up mucus from the cold I've had, possibly a mild virus. My stomach had settled and I was able to drink and keep down water. They gave me a prescription for Zofran and let me go. I feel fine now today. Eating normally without nausea and without taking Zofran. Hopefully the mucus got cleared out of my stomach and it won't cause more issues.

2 comments:

  1. I'm supposed to receive a stem cell transplant for my crohns from dr burt this year. Id love to talk to you one on one about the experience..please email me! Jmcbrid2@uga.edu (put somethin in the subject line so ill know its you!) Thank you! I also met another patient in chicago who is dying to know more about your experience! Id love to be able to share what we discuss with her! It makes a world of difference talking to someone who has been through it and not just from the doctors point of view (even though that has special value too!)

    Thank you!!!!!

    Jenn from south carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrick,
    Hope you are doing well. I will be meeting with Dr Burt on Feb 15, to be evulated for a transplant for Crohn's. I hope I will get to see you. I have had Crohn's for 30 years and this seems to be a promising hope. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete