Monday, September 5, 2011

Day +10

They gave me another platelet transfusion this morning. Benadryl and Tylenol beforehand again. About when the transfusion finished I noticed a couple hives so they gave more Benadryl. They spread a bit more and I started getting a rash so they gave Pepcid, IV Benadryl and Hydrocortisone. That knocked me out for a while and took care of it. Dr. Burt said to make sure I get washed platelets if I need another transfusion. Washed platelets are put in a different suspension to hopefully cut out what I'm reacting too. They don't normally do it because it adds another step to the process and cuts down on the time they have to perform the transfusion before it goes bad.

Dr. Burt said not to worry about Mucositis and that it rarely happens with this protocol. My throat could be irritated from a number of things and it actually feels a bit better. Noticed a bit more bone pain today but it's still not bad. Dr. Burt is still guessing Friday or Saturday for engraftment and I should start to feel even better after that.

4 comments:

  1. We've been thinking about you... I'm trying to keep up with all this crazy medical jargon! Anyway, I hope you're doing well and that things continue to go fairly smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are progressing well... do I understand it correctly that the bone pain is a sign that your bones are doing the right stuff, producing marrow? It is a good sign?
    This is Amy, BTW, you probably don't know my AIM account name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been following your progress, and sounds like you are doing great! I sincerely hope that this process brings you much-needed relief from Crohn's! Thanks for being a trailblazer.
    Hannah ;)
    http://hannah-semicolon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the bone pain means my bone marrow is producing neutrophils to help with the stem cell engraftment.

    Thank you, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete