Thursday, August 18, 2011

Conditioning, Day -8

I got my head shaved yesterday (for free. thank you, Scruples). I'm donating what I could to Locks of Love.





I went to Viand for dinner and got a delicious filet, and flourless chocolate cake with caramel ice cream for dessert. Yes, it was better than it sounds.

I checked in at 7:30 this morning, and just waited a bit until someone took me to my room. I'm not on the isolation floor yet. I'm one floor up where they still have most of the patients who are receiving chemo for whatever reason, and I would be able to stay here for the duration of the transplant if need be, so they'll move me before I'm really immunocompromised within a few days when a room opens up. The room I'm in is still really nice. Nice TV and a pretty good view. I couldn't get to the inputs to hook up my Xbox, so they brought in another TV and an extension cord/power strip I could use for it. Seriously? Everyone here really is too nice.

They drew blood for labs to get a baseline and check kidney and liver function before starting the chemo, Fludarabine, to make sure it would go through fine. One of the transplant nurses came by and went over most of the specifics of how things will go until the stem cells are infused. They're keeping me on a general diet for now and we'll deal with nausea preventing me from eating enough if the issue arises.

They gave me Zofran for nausea half an hour before starting the Fludarabine. It's usually one of the more well tolerated chemos, and it ran for just half an hour. I haven't noticed a single side effect yet, and my dinner went down perfectly fine afterwards. I'll get Fludarabine for 2 more days, so that shouldn't be too bad, and I just started on Cipro, Flagyl, and Acyclovir prophylactically. They'll draw blood sometime overnight so Dr. Burt has the results first thing in the morning when he comes by to check in. So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment