Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 0

I'm still not quite neutropenic. I should be by tomorrow or Sunday. I felt pretty good this morning. The same upset stomach but that's all. The nurse brought in the pump for the stem cell infusion, and gave me Tylenol, Benadryl, and Hydrocortisone for premeds. The cryogenicist came in with the two sets of frozen cord blood and thawed them when everything was ready. They asked if I wanted the chaplain to bless the stem cells before the infusion so I figured why turn down any possible good fortune.

The infusion itself went really well. The preservatives put a funny taste in your mouth but mints took care of that. The preservatives also make you excrete a cream corn smell from your lungs. That's not something I can notice, though. They monitor vitals throughout and for a little while after. I haven't started to get any hives today so they discontinued Benadryl. Now I just stay healthy and wait, probably about 2 weeks, for the stem cells to engraft and grow my new immune system. They'll do blood transfusions as needed, and I'll start Neupogen injections to stimulate stem cell production in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment