Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day -2

The nurse last night felt more comfortable with me skipping Ambian for the night because of everything that happened that day, but I still slept pretty well. The hives went away by the middle of the night and I was just left with some small rashes in the morning, which weren't bothersome. My stomach was a bit upset for breakfast so I didn't eat a lot, but I took all the pills I needed to and they stayed down. One of the allergy doctors came by early just to follow up and answer any questions. A different allergy doctor came by and explained the skin test they were going to do. It turned out that Dr. Burt had decided against worrying about it for now so they cancelled the test.

Dr. Burt decided to just give the Cytoxan as scheduled, not worrying about replacing the last Campath dose, and have that be the last of the chemo. He said it will still be enough, and they are content with using different antibiotics to cover the one they haven't tested for yet. He's the boss, so no argument here.

They gave the premeds and Cytoxan and that went pretty well. I noticed a couple of hives about halfway through the infusion so the nurse stopped it and paged Amy just to be on the safe side. They didn't spread much and I didn't feel any other symptoms. The allergists said it was possible they would come and go, so it was decided to just be that and they restarted the Cytoxan after making sure the hives didn't spread.

I got a dose of Marinol shortly after Cytoxan finished. I started to feel really out of it, basically like I was high, a bit later, and this was well after the effects of the Cytoxan premeds wore off. Amy came by and said it was probably from the Marinol. It may not have been working as much on nausea so those could have been its other effects. It didn't take too long to wear off, and I ate really well afterwards. Definitely the best reaction I've had to anything they've given me so far.

My stomach hasn't been feeling as well since the Marinol, but I got some more food and pills down. It's finally been hard keeping track of everything they've changed through the haze of the last few days. They have me on Vancomycin and Aztreonam still, and had given me a dose of Zolsyn and Tobramycin but discontinued those. I'll ask for clarification in the morning. Regardless, I'm still on plenty of prophylactic medication as my counts and immune system really start to go down. No chemo tomorrow, just the prophylactics and anti-rejection meds. That doesn't mean I won't end up stirring up some excitement, though, the way things have gone so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment